10 things you must do after a Car Accident
In the United States over six million accidents occur every year and the fortunate thing about most of them is that only the properties are damaged. Most damages usually occur to the vehicles and not to the occupants as in some other countries. There are several things that can cause accidents but the main ones being careless driving and not following the rules of driving while on the road. At least one out of the three accidents that occur in a place involves personal injury.
Injuries that occur as a result of over speeding are very severe and can even lead to death of the driver and even the passengers. When an accident has occurred, the only alternative that you are left with is to hire an attorney to assist you in claiming for compensation. The ten factors below are some of the things that you should do after a car accident has occurred:
- Never drive away. You should stop your car when an accident has occurred and never move it from that scene. Even if the accident is minor just stop your car
- Ensure the scene is well protected. Protection of that scene where an accident has occurred is very important as you want for the police to come and inspect the scene and know the cause of the accident. To prevent further accidents ensure you keep your flashers on or set up flares.
- Call the police. The next step is to call the police from the nearby police station to come. Even if the injuries and damages caused are not severe ensure you call them and this is a very good idea. A police report will be very important when claiming for damages from the insurance company.
- Records made should be accurate. The accuracy of the records is very important because it will enable you to avoid having conflicting statements or statements that are different from those of the police. Therefore it is advisable if you tell the police the truth about what has happened and the reason why it has happened.
- Take pictures. Pictures play a very important part in a court of law when claiming for compensation because they will act as evidence that indeed an accident occurred. Your auto accident lawyer will use these pictures while claiming for compensation.
- 6. Exchange of information. Sometimes the police may not respond fast and come to the scene of the accident and in case they fail ensure that you obtain all the names, telephone numbers and addresses of the people who were involved in the accident.
- Report that accident. Your insurance company should be notified immediately after the accident has occurred. Most insurance policies demand that after an accident has occurred you report it immediately and also ensure that there is full cooperation.
- Seeking medical attention. If you have been injured do not hesitate but ensure you go to nearby hospital and seek medication.
- Keep a file. If you have any accident related documents ensure that they are well kept and any information should be kept confidential.
- Protection of rights. The only way in which you can protect your rights fully is by consulting your attorney because he or she understands the legal procedure better.
Find out more in our post here: http://www.nomelaw.com/what-to-expect-from-a-car-accident-lawyer/